With so many options for purchasing jewelry and accessories online, what factors drive a customer to choose your brand over another? And how do you ensure customers return for more after an initial purchase?
Across websites, social commerce and, increasingly, the gamified metaverse, retailers are creating heavily branded experiences that effectively capture the attention of consumers in a cluttered market. For jewelry brands specifically, the eCommerce space holds enormous potential to grow your business whether you are an established household name, a long-time family-run business or an on-trend startup.
However, the online jewelry and accessories industry does present some unique challenges that must be addressed to ensure success. Major considerations include:
- Creating a standout unboxing experience
- Maintaining inventory management practices tailored to small-piece fulfillment
- Ensuring product security in the warehouse on through to delivery
This three-part blog series takes a closer look at each of these considerations, beginning with creative ideas for jewelry packaging. When you nail these components, you can encourage a loyal eCommerce following and maximize the return from your online channel. Continue reading for insights and recommendations from the jewelry fulfillment experts at PFS.
Make each package shine
The delivery of an online order is typically the first tangible interaction with your brand. Simply put, it is your time to shine. Branded packing materials, creative messaging, personalized products – all these small details add up to a feeling of personalization that, when executed successfully, creates memorable customer experiences and makes you stand out against the competition.
The unboxing video trend that has all but taken over social media is proof of the power of thoughtful packaging. However, creating a big impact with memorable packaging does not necessarily require a costly investment in materials or timely processes. For a relatively small added cost, specialized wrapping or messaging creates a sense of indulgence and adds a layer of luxury to any jewelry purchase, regardless of price point.
Consider these creative ideas for jewelry packaging
- Branded packing materials (tissue paper, tape, corrugate, ribbon, etc.)
- Thoughtful and careful product placement to generate the feeling of opening a gift with each package
- Personalized products through custom engraving and other value-added services
- QR codes linking back to your website for more on company values, product recommendations, promotional codes, etc.
- Marketing inserts detailing brand initiatives, upcoming promotions or a signed letter from the founder
Unboxing potential – when less is more
Cancel culture and the ever-growing power of social media have successfully disproved the old saying, “There’s no such thing as bad publicity.” Shipping a necklace or watch without careful consideration for the unboxing experience and product protection (i.e. the use of tissue paper, the lack of protective wrapping or including materials that could damage your product), has significant potential to impact your brand negatively when customers turn to social media and online reviews to express their disappointment. Retailers must be mindful of the power of product presentation, and the extensive damage one negative experience can cause.
That said, thoughtful, branded packaging presents an opportunity to share more on your core values and connect with consumers on a deeper level. Practically speaking, creating an unboxing experience that leaves a positive impression does not require enormous expense or extensive sourcing of additional materials. ‘Specialized’ or ‘custom’ does not necessarily mean more packaging.
For instance, by allowing customers to opt-in to minimal or ‘right-size’ packaging, brands can empower customers to choose a more sustainable, environmentally friendly experience. For the conscious consumer, this inspires a connection to your brand through a common cause.
61% of consumers expect sustainable packaging to be used, with 30% believing that a higher cost for more sustainable/eco-friendly shipping and delivery options is unjustified. And yet, only 54% of retailers currently support sustainable packaging options free of charge. When it comes to sustainability, there is a clear gap between what consumers versus retailers see as a base expectation, one that must be addressed as Gen Z shoppers who prioritize sustainability more than any other generation have a steadily increasing influence on the market.
Personalized packaging at scale – delivering when it counts most
Once a brand chooses, designs and executes a customized packaging experience, the ultimate test comes during peak demand periods. The ability to effectively deliver branded experiences on your busiest day of the year has potential to offer your brand significant long-term benefits.
When you deliver a premier, brand-centric experience during peak periods, you make the most of the opportunity to capture shopper attention and convert new buyers to long-term, loyal customers at the height of demand. For 65% of US customers, a positive experience with a brand is more influential than great advertising – a testament to the power of creating memorable interactions. Even minimal personalization of your jewelry product packaging can lend to a standout unboxing experience that inspires repeat purchases.
Take control with support from the experts
PFS fulfillment operations are uniquely tailored to the requirements of brands selling jewelry and accessories online:
- We are the pros at branded pack-out. The orders we fulfill deliver more than just a product, we deliver branded experiences that inspire loyalty.
- We can support any form of product personalization, including hand and machine engraving, custom sizing, customer-designed products and more.
- Our scalable systems are responsive to seasonal and promotional spikes that are typical to the jewelry industry.
- With small product storage racking, secure storage areas for high-value products and climate-controlled facilities, we are uniquely equipped to fulfill jewelry and accessories products.
- Further to the physical security of your product within our DCs, our client financial services ensure smooth payment processing while mitigating fraud risks for your business.
- We offer high-touch customer service with support agents who transparently represent each brand’s spirit and values with a human-touch that encourages upselling.